<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

9.19.2012

Test Bake : Vanilla Cupcakes

 
3 days ago i baked cupcakes in my new oven for the first time, as you can probably see it didn't all go according to plan, oven problems again!

Now if you read my previous post you will note, i wanted to buy a conventional  / regular oven apposed to convection / fan oven, as they are known to be better baking ovens and fan ovens always run hot, always! well at least in my experience they do.

We bought yet another convection /fan oven (Alhamduillah / All praise be to Allah) as it was the only one within our budget and isn't new persay but reconditioned like the one we had before.

I have a oven thermometer so i thought it would be no biggy,  i set my oven to 140 degrees centrigrade on the dial but for some reason the oven just kept getting hotter and hotter and hotter 150, 160, 180.... i had to switch down the oven part way through baking but of course by then it was too late, the damage had been done! the cupcakes had risen too quickly, causing cracks in the surface and a few had erupted like volcanoes, thankfully the taste and texture underneath the crust were delightful, smooth fragrant vanilla and very airy and light due to using Mcdougalls self raising supreme sponge flour definitely going to be buying more of that.

Baking is a science as we all know, it's only easy if you have the right equipment and recipe, i will be making these again tomorrow (i must remember to reduce the oven temperature to 120 on the dial / 160 in a conventional oven) they are going to be a gift to my sister who has recently had a newborn, that's when i eventually get to visit inshaAllah (God willing) Friday, you see my children have been ill for what seems like forever,  it's only been a couple of weeks but one still has a runny nose.

The recipe i used to make my cupcakes can be found here  

The Nutella frosting i used can be found here, i halved the recipe quantities and it iced 12 cupcakes, with some to spare. I substituted half the butter for cream cheese which added a nice sour note to cut through the rich, sweet chocolate.  If you want to use the butter cream frosting to pipe high on your cupcakes then use the original recipe quantities, again substituting half butter for cream cheese (Philadelphia is the brand i used and in my opinion it's got to to be full fat)

I let my son help in piping on the frosting as it was the perfect opportunity with the cupcakes not being quite up to scratch,  the piping work didn't have to be either and well i had already bought him his own decorating bag and nozzles a few months ago that he was yet to use, we had lots of fun and  frosting left over that we speedily took 2 spoons to.

The cupcakes liners i bought on e-bay and although i will be using them again, they are not greaseproof as i thought, i would suggest you bake your cupcakes in regular white greaseproof cases (I'm all out) and then for display place them inside these baking cups, also the cups would be great for ice cream or other snacks such as small portions of pop corn.

Until next time, peace!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 19 September 2012 at 14:59 , Blogger Noor said...

I bought some liners from ebay and they were just in a bag and all warped when I got them I could not use them bc they would not stay :(

I have never heard of a fan oven maybe we do not have those in the states but I am sorry about all your oven issues inshAllah you will get to know it well soon. When we first moved here I did all my cooking and baking in this little toaster oven man lol.

 
At 19 September 2012 at 18:51 , Blogger Melissa said...

Alhumdulilah you got a new oven but I'm sorry you're having problems with it :(

 
At 19 September 2012 at 19:14 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamu alayki Asma, I have lost my baking bug...to be honest I have kinda lost my cooking bug and just cooking easy meals at the moment so I am looking at your blog and other sister's food blogs.
The result is I am still not motivated but my mouth is watering like crazy!!! lol
InshaAllah I will get my groove back!

 
At 19 September 2012 at 19:33 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment noor, i hate it when that happens to liners and inshAllah i get the swing of the new oven practice, practice, practice lol

 
At 19 September 2012 at 19:34 , Blogger Unknown said...

: ) thanks for your comment sis, i feel better about the whole issue now i've blogged about it <3

 
At 19 September 2012 at 19:36 , Blogger Unknown said...

wa alaikum salam sanaa,

i get that way about cooking too sis (not baking lol) inshaAllah you get the motivation back and lets face it simple meals are often the best, it means we get to spend more time doing other things and hopefully less dishes to wash up!

 
At 19 September 2012 at 20:44 , Blogger Miss-Peacock said...

salam aleikum :)

really amazing, it looks so delicious, I am going to try it

xx

Miss-Peacock

 
At 21 September 2012 at 22:40 , Blogger Unknown said...

Wa Alaikum Salam,

Glad you like the cupcakes, please come back and let me know how your baking of these went or blog about it sister, inshAllah

Thanks for visiting and such a nice comment

 

Post a Comment

I like to hear from my readers, sincere advice is welcome so feel free to leave me a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home